- Take action to lose any excess weight and keep it off. This is the best defense against diabetes. Avoid dieting. Eat high nutrition low calorie unprocessed foods, foods as grown.
- Take a brisk 30-60 minute walk daily and limit the time you spend sitting at work, at home, or anywhere. Get exercise anytime, anywhere. Ride a bike, swim, work in the garden, etc.
- Avoid trans fats, which are in margarines, french fries, pies, peanut butter, cake frostings, cookies, and anything made with partially hydrogenated oils, so-called “fake fats.”
- Replace saturated fats like those in dairy butter and cream, with unsaturated fats, like those in corn or soybean oils and unprocessed nuts. Read labels. Consciously reduce fat intake.
- Replace red meats, especially fried foods, processed meats and fast foods, with soy foods, beans, and poultry, maximizing plant-based (vegetarian) foods. Eat less cooked food.
- Replace refined grains and sweets with high fiber whole grains and whole fruits.
- Drink water instead of soft drinks and limit intake of 100% fruit juices or juice cocktails.
- Consult your doctor. Most doctors will work with you if they know what you are doing.
We are a 501-c-3 non-profit, Christian-based health education center, promoting disease prevention and wellness through community outreach programs.